Fonds MJ-048 - Tuxford Hospital Company Ltd. fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Tuxford Hospital Company Ltd. fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MJ-048

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

22.0 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1919-1945)

Administrative history

The first doctor arrived in Tuxford, Saskatchewan in 1906.

The Tuxford Hospital Company Ltd. was formed in 1919 to provide hospital services to Tuxford and area. The first board consisted of James G. Knox - President, R.R. Bruce - Vice President, and J.J.G. Wilkinson as Treasurer. Other members of the first board were Mr.’s Kennedy, Hatchand, Storry, Black, McCartney and Astleford.

A two story hospital was opened in 1920 with Nurse Fisk as the first Matron and Dr. Storry attending.

The hospital must have often been marginal in terms of its financial success as minutes of 1931 are referred to as the meetings of liquidators. A meeting was scheduled for August 7, 1939 to wind up the affairs of the company. There is also legal correspondence re: non-payment of staff. It seems to have survived and continued to operate as a hospital until 1945.
The property was leased (ca. 1950) to a Kathleen Mary Gilmour who operated the building as an old age home until she sold the business to Miss L.A. Kirby in 1945. Kirby closed her business in 1965.

This marked the formal end of the Tuxford Hospital Company Limited. In 1965, the building was sold to Dave and Carol Little who renovated the building and continued to run it as an old age home.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of business records of the Tuxford Hospital Company including minutes, correspondence, financial and stockholders records. No operational/medical records are included other than patient accounts.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Accession number 47.BA donated to the archives by Olive Wells and the Tuxford Heritage Group.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some items, particularly the Patients Journal, make reference in a general way to treatments received by patients. Access to these items should be restricted until legal status re: privacy can be reviewed.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids and file list available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Conservation

This fonds was re boxed and foldered in 2004.

Location note

Boxes V-48, H-37 - H-38

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres