Identity area
Type of entity
Corporate body
Authorized form of name
Saskatoon Track and Field Club
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Hilltop Track and Field Club
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Description area
Dates of existence
1948-present
History
The Saskatoon Track and Field Club was founded in 1948 as the Hilltop Track and Field Club, under a sponsorship arrangement with the Saskatoon Hilltops football club, brokered by John Munro (“Jack”) Lydiard. An earlier version of the Saskatoon Track and Field Club had been started by Joe Griffith and George Ward in 1935, but appears to have existed only briefly, and the two don’t seem to be related.
In 1950, the relationship with the Hilltops ended and the club changed its name to the Saskatoon Track and Field Club. The name changed to the Saskatoon Track Club sometime after 1998. In 1955, the Nutana Kiwanis Club agreed to help finance the STFC. Early in 1963, the STFC helped establish the Riversdale Track and Field Club. In 1965, the Knights of Columbus, became the chief sponsor of the club.
Early coaches and athletes associated with the club include Dr. Bill Turnbull, Jack Lydiard, Bob Adams, Sylvia Ferguson and May Gagan.
Places
Saskatoon
Legal status
Functions, occupations and activities
The STFC is dedicated to ensuring local athletes and coaches receive the proper training and recognition, while promoting a healthier lifestyle. It provides coaching and training opportunities for athletes as well as organizing track and field events.
Mandates/sources of authority
Internal structures/genealogy
It is managed by a Board of Directors, headed by a president and an Executive Committee.
General context
Relationships area
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Occupations
Control area
Authority record identifier
Maintained by
Institution identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Status
Draft
Level of detail
Partial
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Nov 1, 2022