Summerside School District #269

Zona de identificação

tipo de entidade

Entidade coletiva

Forma autorizada do nome

Summerside School District #269

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nome

Forma normalizada do nome de acordo com outras regras

Outra(s) forma(s) de nome

identificadores para entidades coletivas

área de descrição

Datas de existência

1893-1939

Histórico

The first school site was on NW 26-17-28, North West Territories on land owned by James Campbell. There are no available records that document what year the school was built or when it opened. A debenture for $450.00 was obtained from the Imperial Bank of Canada, Winnipeg on November 13, 1893. It was signed by Joseph Getty, chairman, and Isaac Griffith, trustee. A receipt for the eighth and final payment was dated November 18, 1901. Early records show that James Campbell was the first secretary. The early teachers were Cidna Simpson, April-November 1898; H.W. McDonald, April-November 1899; A.W. Lindsay, March-December 1900; L.A. Banks, February-December 1901.

Family names of students attending were: Griffith, Armstrong, Wilson, Hans, Campbell, Banks, McKeown, Dalrymple, Getty, Hurlburt, Lyons, Battel, Forsythe, Perkins and Gilmour.
In 1913 the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway went through the district and the hamlet of Archydal was established. The site of the new school was chosen to be here. It was built in 1914 on NE 35-17-28. It was a one storey, brick veneered building. The chairman was William Battel, the secretary-treasurer was George McKeown. The old school building was sold to James Gilmour. Three sections of land 3-17-27, 6-18-27 and 7-18-27 were taken out of the Moose Jaw Rural Municipality # 161 and added to the Summerside School District. In 1918 the main room of the new school was divided into two rooms. In 1921 a second storey was added to the school. This was used as a high school. The high school closed in December 1939.

In 1946 the Moose Jaw Larger School Unit formed and Summerside was incorporated into the unit. George W. McKeown was sub unit #5 trustee from 1946-1953.

In 1946 a teacherage was moved in. In 1962 a cottage type school was moved in and the two storey school was demolished.

Summerside School closed on June 30, 1964. It was moved to Grayburn to be used as a community hall. The school children were bussed to Moose Jaw. The last teacher was Mrs. Inga (Myklebust) Dalrymple and the last secretary-treasurer was R.E. Hancock.

Locais

Estado Legal

funções, ocupações e atividades

Mandatos/Fontes de autoridade

Estruturas internas/genealogia

Contexto geral

Área de relacionamento

Área de pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Ocupações

Zona do controlo

Identificador de autoridade arquivística de documentos

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Línguas e escritas

Script(s)

Fontes

Notas de manutenção

  • Área de transferência

  • Exportar

  • EAC

Assuntos relacionados

Locais relacionados