- 89.96.57
- Item
- 1930
Parte de Biggar Photograph Collection
A man, identified as Norman McNevin, in full hockey gear with a hockey stick and puck.
56 resultados diretamente relacionados Excluir termos específicos
Parte de Biggar Photograph Collection
A man, identified as Norman McNevin, in full hockey gear with a hockey stick and puck.
View of Rutherford Rink.
Bio/Historical Note: Built on a site previously used for an open outdoor rink, construction of “The Rink”, later known informally as the “Dog House”, was due to student initiative. A campaign to have a closed rink facility began in 1920; by 1928, the Students Representative Council appointed a committee to look into the feasibility of the student body assuming responsibility for construction. The Board of Governors loaned SRC the funds; which the student council hoped to pay back by instituting a $3 student fee. Although opened for use in December 1929 the rink, “already the most popular place on campus,” had its official opening on 23 January 1930, with an inter-varsity hockey game against the University of Manitoba (Saskatchewan won, 5-1). 650 attended the opening; and between 18,000-20,000 people used the rink during its first year of operation. The original design included “waiting rooms” on the west and east side, primarily for use by men and women respectively. The rink was used for general skating, “scrub,” faculty, senior men’s and girls’ varsity team hockey practices, the “fancy skating club,” children’s skating, and band practice, and winter carnival activities. Speed skates were allowed, but the rink was “not responsible for injury resulting therefrom.” During general skating, “playing tag,” “cutting in,” “cracking the whip,” and “reckless disregard and abandon in speed skating” were not tolerated. The building was renamed in honour of William J. Rutherford, the University’s first Dean of Agriculture, after his sudden and unexpected death on 1 June 1930. Minor renovations occurred over the next 88 years. Merlis Belsher Place, a multi-use ice facility, opened in 2018, mercifully replacing the ancient Rutherford Rink. The new arena is located on the south side of College Drive near the Field House.
University of Saskatchewan Men's Hockey Team - Group Photo
Hockey team members: J. Gordon Leitch, sub.; George Alexander Mutch, left wing; Wallace A. Thomson, centre; Reginald McLeod Balfour, sub.; Stuart Fulton Conrod, right wing; W.E. (Bill) Wilson, defence; John Ross Vant, goal; H.E. (Hap) Wilson, defence; J.A. McIntyre, sub.; William Cecil How, exec.; James Waddell, manager.
College of Agriculture - Hockey Team - Group Photo
Hockey team members, back row (l to r): Allan A. Smith, Arthur Hughes Sargeant, J. Harvey Harrop, Arthur Wellesley Henry (coach). Front row: Thomas Caldwell, Leonard Cooney, Pontus Wicklund, Henry Dell Perley. Outdoor image.
University of Saskatchewan Men's Hockey Team - Player Photos
Individual photographs of men's hockey team members grouped. Reginald Brehaut (coach), Harold (Happy) Wilson, Charlie Hay, George Art (captain), S.E. Turvey, William P. McLean (mgr), Wilfred Heffernan, William Charles Broadfoot, H. McCallum (asst. mgr), Ernie McNab, Don Collins and Merv Moore.
Bio/Historical Note: The University of Saskatchewan men’s hockey team in 1923 was coached by Reg Brehaut, who had played and coached hockey since 1906. The team won the Mitchener Cup as Saskatoon City League champions, the Van Valkenburg Cup as Saskatchewan Amateur champions, the Halpenny Cup as Interprovincial University champions, the Patton Cup as Western Canadian League champion and were Allan Cup finalists in 1923.
University of Saskatchewan Men's Hockey Team - Group Photo
Hockey team members, John Rich Bunn, Frank Alexander Canzi, Ashley McIntosh Walker, F. MacPherson, Peter Peters, Mitchell, ?, Donald Sutherland MacMurchy.
Head and shoulders of Jim Hay, men's Intramural Athletic Board member and Huskie football player.
Bio/Historical Note: James Miller Hay was born in 1931 in Regina, Saskatchewan. A graduate of Central Collegiate in Regina, enrolled at the University of Saskatchewan (BE. 1950) in 1947. He earned a BE (Chemical Engineering), University of Saskatchewan, an MPE (Petroleum Engineering), University of Tulsa, and a PhD in Chemical Engineering, University of Toronto. While at the U of S, Hay excelled at both football and hockey. He played both sports for three years and was captain of the teams in his senior season. A centre, Hay led the Huskie hockey team in scoring in 1947-1948 with four points, including two goals in four games. In 17 career games, he had 18 points, including six goals. He received a Block S Award in 1947-1948, received his Senior Colours in 1949 and was given a Major Athletic Award in 1950. Hay also served on the Men's Athletic Board for two years. He went on to become president and CEO of Dow Chemical Canada.
Honourary Degrees - Presentation - Colonel Robert L. Houston
Emmett M. Hall, University Chancellor, is making presentation of an honourary Doctor of Laws degree to Colonel Robert L. Houston at Convocation at Centennial Auditorium. Iain MacLean, University Secretary, prepares to hood recipient.
Bio/Historical Note: Col. Robert Laird (Bob) Houston was born in Melville, Saskatchewan in 1911. He grew up in Arnprior, Ontario and then attended Clarkson University in Potsdam, New York on a hockey scholarship from which he graduated in 1934 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. In 1935 he was commissioned into the Canadian Army. He served in various capacities in the Army until retiring as a Colonel in 1963, including fighting in World War II as a Commanding Officer of the Fourth Canadian Armoured Divisional Signals and being awarded the French Croix de Guerre, instructing at the Canadian Army Staff College in Kingston, Ontario and the NATO Defence Staff College in Paris, France and serving on different international committees. In 1963 Col. Houston founded the Canada Japan Trade Council and led the Council until his retirement. In 1987 he was awarded the Order of the Sacred Treasure, Star from His Majesty, The Emperor of Japan for his efforts through the years to promote friendly relations and economic ties between Canada and Japan. Col. Houston initiated the Western Transportation Advisory Council and he is a past chairman of the Canadian National Committee of United World Colleges (which ultimately led to the establishment of the Lester B. Pearson College of the Pacific), past president of Clarkson University Alumni Board of Governors, past President of the NATO Defence College Association of Canada, past Chairman of the National Committee for the Diefenbaker Canada Centre and a past Director of the Royal Canadian Geographic Society and the Big Rideau Lake Association. Col. Houston died in Ottawa in 2002 at age 90.
Honourary Degrees - Presentation - Charles G. Power
E.M. (Ted) Culliton, University Chancellor, making presentation of an honourary Doctor of Laws degree to Charles G. Power at Convocation at Physical Education gymnasium.
Bio/Historical Note: Charles Gavan (Chubby) Power was born in 1888 in Sillery, Quebec, He was educated at Loyola College and Laval University, graduating in law; while a student he was an outstanding athlete, and ultimately was a star with the Quebec Bulldogs of the Eastern Canada Amateur Hockey Association (ECAHA). A proficient scorer, he scored four goals in one game in 1908 and five goals in a game in 1909. Power served overseas in World War I, first as a captain and then as an acting major. He was wounded during the Battle of the Somme and was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry during military operations. Power entered politics in the 1917 federal election in which he was elected as a "Laurier Liberal" during the Conscription Crisis of 1917. In 1935, Power was appointed minister of pensions and health in the Liberal cabinet of Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King. During World War II, he served as minister of national defence for air and was responsible for expanding the Royal Canadian Air Force. Power’s opposition to conscription led him to resign from the cabinet during the Conscription Crisis of 1944, after the government passed an Order in Council to send conscripts overseas. Power sat as an "Independent Liberal" for the duration of the war and was re-elected as an Independent Liberal in the 1945 federal election. He then rejoined the party and ran to succeed King in the 1948 Liberal leadership convention but came a poor third. Charles Power retired from the House of Commons in 1955. He was appointed to the Senate on 28 July 1955 and served until his death in Quebec City in 1968.
Exterior view of Rutherford Rink.
Bio/Historical Note: Built on a site previously used for an open outdoor rink, construction of “The Rink”, later known informally as the “Dog House”, was due to student initiative. A campaign to have a closed rink facility began in 1920; by 1928, the Students Representative Council appointed a committee to look into the feasibility of the student body assuming responsibility for construction. The Board of Governors loaned SRC the funds; which the student council hoped to pay back by instituting a $3 student fee. Although opened for use in December 1929 the rink, “already the most popular place on campus,” had its official opening on 23 January 1930, with an inter-varsity hockey game against the University of Manitoba (Saskatchewan won, 5-1). 650 attended the opening; and between 18,000-20,000 people used the rink during its first year of operation. The original design included “waiting rooms” on the west and east side, primarily for use by men and women respectively. The rink was used for general skating, “scrub,” faculty, senior men’s and girls’ varsity team hockey practices, the “fancy skating club,” children’s skating, and band practice, and winter carnival activities. Speed skates were allowed, but the rink was “not responsible for injury resulting therefrom.” During general skating, “playing tag,” “cutting in,” “cracking the whip,” and “reckless disregard and abandon in speed skating” were not tolerated. The building was renamed in honour of William J. Rutherford, the University’s first Dean of Agriculture, after his sudden and unexpected death on 1 June 1930. Minor renovations occurred over the next 88 years. Merlis Belsher Place, a multi-use ice facility, opened in 2018, mercifully replacing the ancient Rutherford Rink. The new arena is located on the south side of College Drive near the Field House.
Interior and exterior images of Rutherford Rink, "The University Rink."
Bio/Historical Note: Built on a site previously used for an open outdoor rink, construction of “The Rink”, later known informally as the “Dog House”, was due to student initiative. A campaign to have a closed rink facility began in 1920; by 1928, the Students Representative Council appointed a committee to look into the feasibility of the student body assuming responsibility for construction. The Board of Governors loaned SRC the funds; which the student council hoped to pay back by instituting a $3 student fee. Although opened for use in December 1929 the rink, “already the most popular place on campus,” had its official opening on 23 January 1930, with an inter-varsity hockey game against the University of Manitoba (Saskatchewan won, 5-1). 650 attended the opening; and between 18,000-20,000 people used the rink during its first year of operation. The original design included “waiting rooms” on the west and east side, primarily for use by men and women respectively. The rink was used for general skating, “scrub,” faculty, senior men’s and girls’ varsity team hockey practices, the “fancy skating club,” children’s skating, and band practice, and winter carnival activities. Speed skates were allowed, but the rink was “not responsible for injury resulting therefrom.” During general skating, “playing tag,” “cutting in,” “cracking the whip,” and “reckless disregard and abandon in speed skating” were not tolerated. The building was renamed in honour of William J. Rutherford, the University’s first Dean of Agriculture, after his sudden and unexpected death on 1 June 1930. Minor renovations occurred over the next 88 years. Merlis Belsher Place, a multi-use ice facility, opened in 2018, mercifully replacing the ancient Rutherford Rink. The new arena is located on the south side of College Drive near the Field House.
University of Saskatchewan Women's Hockey Team - Bessie Mae Pridmore
Head and shoulders image of Bessie Mae Pridmore, member of hockey team.
University of Saskatchewan Huskiettes Field Hockey Team - Group Photo
Indoor posed image of team members in two rows.
University of Saskatchewan Huskiettes Field Hockey Team - Group Photo
Posed outdoor image of field hockey team.
University of Saskatchewan Huskies Men's Hockey Team - Dave Adolph
Dave Adolph, Huskie men's hockey coach, in dressing room with players.
Bio/Historical Note: Dave Adolph, a native of Swift Current, played 117 games on defence for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies hockey team and won a national championship as co-captain in 1983. Adolph’s tenure as a head coach in university athletics began in 1989 at the helm of the Lethbridge Pronghorns, winning 32 games. Adolph took over coaching his alma mater in 1983. He amassed a 488-334-46 Canada West record between the two teams. In the 2014-2015 season Adolph broke the U SPORTS wins record once held by University of Alberta coach Clare Drake. A four-time Canada West Coach of the Year (1998, 2000, 2017, 2019), Adolph led Canada to bronze medals at the FISU Universiade in 2003 (Naples, Italy) and again in 2015 (Granada, Spain). He was also behind the bench for the Nagano Cup in Japan in 1996, leading Canada to a silver medal finish. In 2004, he was named an assistant coach with Hockey Canada for the Lotto Cup in Slovakia, finishing third. As head coach of the Huskies, Adolph has guided his team to 25 consecutive post-season appearances, seven Canada West Championship titles and 16 appearances at the University Cup. Adolph retired from coaching in December 2020. Former Toronto Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock replaced Adolph.
Bio/Historical Note: Image appeared in 27 Feb. 1998 issue of OCN.