- A-62
- Item
- [1920?]
Main Barn in winter.
Bio/Historical Note: The University Barn or Main Barn was designed by Brown and Vallance and built between 1910-1912.
239 resultados diretamente relacionados Excluir termos específicos
Main Barn in winter.
Bio/Historical Note: The University Barn or Main Barn was designed by Brown and Vallance and built between 1910-1912.
Saskatchewan Cancer and Medical Research Institute - Official Opening
Unidentified speaker at the opening of the Saskatchewan Cancer and Medical Research Institute. Crowd in foreground and platform of dignitaries in background. View from behind the crowd looking towards the platform.
Bio/Historical Note: The Saskatchewan Cancer and Medical Research Institute was officially opened on 10 May 1958 by Premier T.C. Douglas. Clad in locally quarried greystone with limestone panels, it was the.last of the buildings that constituted the University’s Medical Complex’s initial phase. Designed by Izumi, Arnott and Sugiyama and completed at a cost of $783,000, the building’s purpose was to provide shared accommodation for both general medical research and cancer specific investigations. Funding came from the federal and provincial governments and the provincial and national branches of the Canadian Cancer Society. A planned third floor was added in 1966. The building was "deconstructed" in 2009, with much of the building's material recycled including the greystone cladding for use with the E Wing that opened in 2013.
Image of Joseph Proctor of Dundurn, Saskatchewan, seated on horseback outside a rural dwelling.
Bio/Historical Note: Joseph Proctor (1851-1918) bequeathed 560 acres of property southwest of Dundurn to the University of Saskatchewan.
Students' Representative Council Executive - Group Photo
Group photo of the Students' Representative Council executive. Back row (l to r): Alfred Lamsett Leach, V. Janzen, Spencer Ball (treasurer), Robert L. Harold (general secretary). Front row: Maude Margaret Lamont (vice-president), William Eliot Walker (president), Sybilia Kydd (secretary of executive committee), John Feinstein.
Kathleen M. Taggart - Portrait
Head and shoulders image of Kathleen (Taggart) Ferguson, B.H.Sc. (Sask.), M.Sc. (Cornell), College of Household Science, 1954-1959; Assistant Professor, Associate Professor. Ferguson resigned in 1959.
View of exterior of the POS Pilot Plant.
Bio/Historical Note: The POS (Protein, Oil and Starch) Pilot Plant is a research organization that specializes in extraction, fractionation, purification, and modification of biologically derived materials. The company, which was founded in July 1977, is located in the Innovation Place Research Park on the University of Saskatchewan campus. POS Pilot Plant, the largest pilot plant operation of its kind in North America, has grown from eighteen employees in 1977 to over ninety employees in 2003. The company employs people from a wide range of disciplines: scientists, engineers, technicians, operators, tradespeople, logistics and information researchers, and administrative personnel. POS Pilot Plant is dedicated to finding personalized solutions for clients' bioprocessing needs. Services provided include: process and product development, optimization and scale-up; hazard analysis and critical control points; protocols and good manufacturing practice plans; and ingredient sourcing, shelf-life testing and analytical development. There are also consulting services, and support services concerning materials management, maintenance, and information. The Plant serves bioprocessing industries including nutraceuticals and functional foods; cosmetics and fragrances; fats, oils and lipids; food and ingredients; animal feeds; and Biotechnology and agricultural biotechnology. In 2019 the plant was rebranded KeyLeaf Life Sciences.
Geology - Research - Marilyn Truscott
Marilyn Truscott of Glidden, Saskatchewan, a PhD candidate in geological sciences at the University of Saskatchewan, makes use of an electron probe x-ray microanalyzer. Mrs. Truscott uses the machine to analyze samples of volcanic rock from the Sweetgrass Hills in Montana. She is obtaining information that will help provide a more complete picture of the geological history of the Western Plains.
President's Residence in Winter
Looking northwest at the President's Residence; winter scene.
Bio/Historical Note: The President’s Residence is among the original buildings constructed on campus. The residence was designed by Brown and Vallance, and was built under the direction of A.R. Greig, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. The building was originally planned as a wooden structure. However, a proposal to construct the building out of a local river rock, later known as greystone, was raised prior to the commencement of construction - if the government would foot the bill. Eventually the latter material was chosen, though the government perhaps came to regret its decision. Construction on the President's Residence began in 1910 and finished in early 1913. By the time it was completed the original cost for the building had ballooned from $32,000 to $44,615. Walter Murray, the first president of the University, was deeply embarrassed by the cost of what was to be his personal residence, even though it was also a public building. However, the people of Saskatoon were proud of the building and the status it gave their University, and no public outcry over the cost ever materialized. Renovations to the President's Residence were completed in 1989 by PCL-Maxam at a cost of $96,752. The renovations were designed by architects Malkin/Edwards.
Health Sciences Building - Interior
Standing beside the new Medical Library's current serials stand during official opening of Health Sciences B Wing are (l to r): Sandra Kinloch, medical librarian; Grace Giles, former, and first, medical librarian; Earl Dick, executive director, University Hospital; and Dr. J.E. Leddy, President, University of Windsor, and former dean of Arts and Science (1949-1964) at the U of S.
Bio/Historical Note: In April of 1950, the Medical Library Committee held its first meeting and recommended the creation of a Medical Library as a branch of the University Library. Located in the newly opened Medical Building, it was in operation by the following October. Over the subsequent decades, the Medical Library has grown to meet the demands of all the Health Sciences on campus. In addition to the Library's general collection it houses the Baltzan and Brodie collections on Medical Canadiana and the History of Medicine.
Bio/Historical Note: The oldest wing of the Health Sciences Building, the A Wing, dating to 1949, was originally the Medical College Building. The Health Sciences A Wing has heritage value as the cornerstone of the medical precinct at the university and was designed by architects Webster and Gilbert. The A Wing was renovated and reopened in 2019. The B Wing was completed by 1971.
Progress shot of construction of the most westerly gate of the Memorial Gates. Thorvaldson (Chemistry) Building in background.
Bio/Historical Note: The Memorial Gates are a military memorial that is part of the University campus. Sixty-seven University students and faculty lost their lives while on service during World War I. The impact of the war on the University was immense: 330 students and faculty served during the War, a number equivalent to nearly all of the students who had registered the year prior to the beginning of the conflict. The desire to honor the staff and students who had fallen during the Great War was strong within the University community. As early as August 1918, 3 months prior to the formal Armistice, University President Walter C. Murray began making enquiries into the cost of a suitable memorial. What was settled upon were gates made of solid bronze, imported from England; the remainder, made of local greystone. Architect David R. Brown estimated the cost of what would come to be known as the Memorial Gates to be $30,000, with an additional $10,000 required for the memorial. The cement work was done by Richard J. Arrand in 1927-1928. A concerted fundraising effort among students and alumni helped cover the costs. The Memorial Gates were unveiled by President Murray and dedicated by the Bishop of Saskatchewan on 3 May 1928. A stone tablet, positioned between the bronze gates, bears the inscription: "These are they who went forth from this University to the Great War and gave their lives that we might live in freedom." For many years after, the site was used for the university’s Remembrance Day services at which wreaths are still laid every November 11th. These Gates were originally the entrance gates to campus and flanked University Drive. In the 1980s, due to increased traffic to the southwest portion of the campus, primarily Royal University Hospital, a new road entrance was built to the west. The gates remain, with the remnant of University Drive passing through them renamed Memorial Crescent. The gates are now primarily used by pedestrians, though the roadway is open to vehicles.
University of Saskatchewan Women's Basketball Team
Parte de A.S. Morton fonds
The University of Saskatchewan Ladies' Basketball Team, group photo (from left to right): Miss E. Cartwright, L. Rutherford, G. Truenhelt, I. Aicheson, Peg Potter, D. Rutherford, M. Thackeray, B. Macartney, A. Robinson, E. Carsons, J. Bulmer.
Parte de A.S. Morton fonds
Ethel Mary Cartwright seated at desk in her office
Parte de A.S. Morton fonds
Studio/Formal portrait of P.J. Andrews wearing an academic gown perhaps at his graduation.
Boy seated on an outdoor clay oven
Parte de W.C. Murray fonds
A boy is seen seated at the opening of a clay oven, used to make bread on a prairie homestead.
Fonds consists of principally of Town Clerk records including correspondence, reports, bylaws, council minutes, ledgers, petitions, a voters lists and other material arranged into six series.
Sem título