- 1.0059.03
- Item
- January, 1965
Exterior shot of the Saskatoon Public Library building, with snow on the ground.
46 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Exterior shot of the Saskatoon Public Library building, with snow on the ground.
Part of City of Regina fonds
Regina Public Library staff, 1913; three of seven women are identified. Standing second from left - Marjorie Scott. Front row: second from left - Olive Welsh; third from left - Muriel Cass.
Patron reading newspaper, Moose Jaw Public Library
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Unidentified man wearing a vlack fur hat and winter coat reading newspaper with right leg up on table
Night view of Moose Jaw Public Library
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Exterior night view of Moose Jaw Public Library with lights on
Night view of Moose Jaw Public Library
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Exterior night view of Moose Jaw Public Library with lights on
Murray Memorial Library - South Wing - Interior
The reference desk of what was to be the future University Archives and Special Collections.
Bio/Historical Note: Though the first recorded withdrawal from the University Library occurred in October 1909, nearly five decades passed before the Library had its own building. The early collection was housed either on the second floor of the College Building (later known as the Administration Building) or was scattered among a number of small departmental libraries. Plans for a new library building in the late 1920s were ended by the start of the Great Depression; but a dramatically reduced acquisitions budget was offset by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation in 1933. In 1943 the University hired its first professional Librarian. A combination of provincial grants and University fundraising financed the construction of the Murray Memorial Library. The library was named after the University’s first President, Walter C. Murray. Designed by noted Regina architect Kioshi Izumi working under H.K. Black, Architect, it marked a change in campus architecture away from the more angular and elaborate Collegiate Gothic style to that of the less expensive cube. Building materials included granite at the entrance and Tyndall stone as a wall cladding and window trim. In addition to the library, the building housed the College of Law, an office of the Provincial Archives and a 105-seat lecture theatre equipped with the latest in audiovisual teaching aids. The most dramatic transformation took place between 1970 and 1976 when a six floor south wing was added along with an extensive renovation of the 1956 structure. Designed by BLM, Regina, the south wing was unlike any other building on campus. Clad in Tyndall stone panels made to look like concrete (through a "bush hammered" finish), the grey almost windowless building is industrial and utilitarian in appearance. The University's master plan required buildings in the core of campus to be clad in stone. However, the "bush hammered" finish was used since the Library addition was built during a period that saw the flowering of "Brutalist" Architecture, so called because of the wide use of exposed concrete. The new (south) wing, originally called the Main Library, was officially opened on 17 May 1974, and also became the home of the Department of Art and Art History, the College of Graduate Studies and the University Archives.
Murray Memorial Library - South Wing - Floor Plans
Large format negatives of the floor plans of the south wing of Murray Library.
Bio/Historical Note: Though the first recorded withdrawal from the University Library occurred in October 1909, nearly five decades passed before the Library had its own building. The early collection was housed either on the second floor of the College Building (later known as the Administration Building) or was scattered among a number of small departmental libraries. Plans for a new library building in the late 1920s were ended by the start of the Great Depression; but a dramatically reduced acquisitions budget was offset by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation in 1933. In 1943 the University hired its first professional Librarian. A combination of provincial grants and University fundraising financed the construction of the Murray Memorial Library. The library was named after the University’s first President, Walter C. Murray. Designed by noted Regina architect Kioshi Izumi working under H.K. Black, Architect, it marked a change in campus architecture away from the more angular and elaborate Collegiate Gothic style to that of the less expensive cube. Building materials included granite at the entrance and Tyndall stone as a wall cladding and window trim. In addition to the library, the building housed the College of Law, an office of the Provincial Archives and a 105-seat lecture theatre equipped with the latest in audiovisual teaching aids. The most dramatic transformation took place between 1970 and 1976 when a six floor south wing was added along with an extensive renovation of the 1956 structure. Designed by BLM, Regina, the south wing was unlike any other building on campus. Clad in Tyndall stone panels made to look like concrete (through a "bush hammered" finish), the grey almost windowless building is industrial and utilitarian in appearance. The University's master plan required buildings in the core of campus to be clad in stone. However, the "bush hammered" finish was used since the Library addition was built during a period that saw the flowering of "Brutalist" Architecture, so called because of the wide use of exposed concrete. The new (south) wing, originally called the Main Library, was officially opened on 17 May 1974, and also became the home of the Department of Art and Art History, the College of Graduate Studies and the University Archives.
Mr. Justice Russell Brownridge at Moose Jaw Public Library
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Mr. Justice Russell Brownridge, Board member, standing among young patrons in Boys & Girls Department. Unidentified man stands in background among children.
Moose Jaw Public Library - South room
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Interior view of south room on main floor off rotunda, soon after opening. Painting and art works along wall in background; wooden chairs and table in foreground
Moose Jaw Public Library - Reference Department
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Books and tables of Reference Department, located in south room on main floor, Moose Jaw Public Library
Moose Jaw Public Library - Pat O'Neil
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Pat O'Neil, children's librarian, busy with young patrons. Children seated at a round table with Pat O'Neil standing behind two boys. Book shelves in background
Moose Jaw Public Library - North room
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Interior view of north room on main floor off rotunda, soon after opening. Book rack and art works in background
Moose Jaw Public Library - North room
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Interior view of north room on main floor, with patrons seated at tables working. Bookshelves in background, with circulation desk visible through doorway
Moose Jaw Public Library - North room
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Interior view of north room on main floor off rotunda, soon after opening. Artwork on walls, wooden chairs and racks in background; rotunda in foreground
Moose Jaw Public Library - North room
Part of MJ General Photograph Collection
Interior view of north room on main floor off rotunda, soon after opening. Fireplace and art works along wall in background; wooden chairs and tables in foreground