- INS-125
- Stuk
- January 1967
Several tables displaying architectural models, Inuit crafts and prints, etc. On view during Engineering Show, Engineering Building, University of Saskatchewan, 1967.
78 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Several tables displaying architectural models, Inuit crafts and prints, etc. On view during Engineering Show, Engineering Building, University of Saskatchewan, 1967.
Northwest Territories - Ceremonial Mace
Ceremonial mace from NWT, guarded by members of the Canadian Armed Forces. On view during Engineering Show, Engineering Building, University of Saskatchewan, 1967.
Displays and Exhibitions - Engineering Show
Display by the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development showing maps on the wall and a model of a building. On view during Engineering Show, Engineering Building, University of Saskatchewan, 1967.
Northwest Territories - Ceremonial Mace
RCMP officer placing mace from NWT on display. Dr. W.O. Kupsch, Dean of Engineering Dr. A.D. Booth, and Dr. J.W.T. Spinks looking on. During Engineering Show, Engineering Building, University of Saskatchewan, 1967.
Head and shoulders image of R.S. Miller, Assistant Professor, Department of Biology.
Campus - Scenic - Saskatchewan Hall and Qu'Appelle Hall
View looking southeast across the Bowl at Saskatchewan Hall and Qu'Appelle Hall, with the Medical Research (Cancer and Medical Research) Building in the background.
Campus - Scenic - Saskatchewan Hall and Qu'Appelle Hall
View looking south across the Bowl at the courtyard between Saskatchewan Hall (left) and Qu'Appelle Hall. Sidewalk and shrubbery in foreground.
CJUS-FM Radio Station - New Transmitter
Image of CJUS-FM Radio Station official opening of new transmitter. Standing (l to r): Al Pippin, CJUS-FM technical director; Gordon Walburn, station manager; Joanne Bristol, student volunteer; and Cliff Wright, mayor of Saskatoon. Tower in background; taken on top of Arts Building.
Bio/Historical Note: In 1959 a campus group calling themselves "University Radio Productions" approached the federal government for a broadcast license to operate a student-run FM station on a non-commercial basis. Licensing requirements demanded that licenses only be issued to the university itself; in 1960 students approached the Board of Governors for approval. Operation of the station, including a constitution, was formalized in 1965 between the University and the Students Union (USSU), and CJUS-FM was launched. Studios were initially located in the basement of the university's Memorial Union Building, but were moved to the basement of the Education Building in 1980 next to the Department of Audio Visual Services. The station was launched through a partnership between the university's board of governors and its student union. For a number of years, the station also aired some programming from the CBC Stereo network before CBKS was launched. In 1983, with the station in financial trouble, it began to accept limited commercial advertising, and briefly changed its call sign to CHSK. The following year, the university's board decided to discontinue its funding of the station, and CHSK ceased broadcasting on 30 September 1985. CJUS was relaunched as an Internet radio stream in 2005.
View of Rutherford Rink.
Bio/Historical Note: Built on a site previously used for an open outdoor rink, construction of “The Rink”, later known informally as the “Dog House”, was due to student initiative. A campaign to have a closed rink facility began in 1920; by 1928, the Students Representative Council appointed a committee to look into the feasibility of the student body assuming responsibility for construction. The Board of Governors loaned SRC the funds; which the student council hoped to pay back by instituting a $3 student fee. Although opened for use in December 1929 the rink, “already the most popular place on campus,” had its official opening on 23 January 1930, with an inter-varsity hockey game against the University of Manitoba (Saskatchewan won, 5-1). 650 attended the opening; and between 18,000-20,000 people used the rink during its first year of operation. The original design included “waiting rooms” on the west and east side, primarily for use by men and women respectively. The rink was used for general skating, “scrub,” faculty, senior men’s and girls’ varsity team hockey practices, the “fancy skating club,” children’s skating, and band practice, and winter carnival activities. Speed skates were allowed, but the rink was “not responsible for injury resulting therefrom.” During general skating, “playing tag,” “cutting in,” “cracking the whip,” and “reckless disregard and abandon in speed skating” were not tolerated. The building was renamed in honour of William J. Rutherford, the University’s first Dean of Agriculture, after his sudden and unexpected death on 1 June 1930. Minor renovations occurred over the next 88 years. Merlis Belsher Place, a multi-use ice facility, opened in 2018, mercifully replacing the ancient Rutherford Rink. The new arena is located on the south side of College Drive near the Field House.
View of interior of the lounge at St. Andrew's College. People seated on couches and chairs are gathered near the fireplace. A grand piano is visible in background; a plant stand is in foreground.
St. Andrew's College - Addition - Construction
View looking west of St. Andrew's College addition construction nearing completion. Scaffolding visible in foreground; Ellis Hall partially visible in background.
St. Andrew's College - Residence
View of double room St. Andrew's College residence. One male student is working at a desk, and a second student sits in a chair and reads a book. Two couch/beds visible in foreground; shelving, a window, and a dresser are visible in background.
Image of T. Smith, Purchasing Officer, University of Saskatchewan, seated at his desk.
Elevated view from Administration Building looking southwest across the Bowl. University buildings in background (l to r): Qu'Appelle Hall, Medical College, Murray Memorial (Main) Library, and Chemistry Building.
Note on back: "Walt Cunningham, Apollo Astronaut, addresses faculty and students during the University's participation in the "Earth I Care" program," held in the Physical Education gymnasium. View is from the side; backs of audience members' heads visible in foreground, with a model of a spacecraft resting on a table. Speaker stands at podium with participants seated on dais.