University of Saskatchewan M.U.B. and Qu'Appelle Hall
- LGS IX 3-2
- Item
- 1959-1964
Parte deL.G. Saunders fonds
The University of Saskatchewan M.U.B. and Qu'Appelle Hall are seen across a field in hoar frosty weather.
132 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales
University of Saskatchewan M.U.B. and Qu'Appelle Hall
Parte deL.G. Saunders fonds
The University of Saskatchewan M.U.B. and Qu'Appelle Hall are seen across a field in hoar frosty weather.
Marquis Hall - Architectural Model
View of model of Marquis Hall; Qu'Appelle Hall Addition in background.
Campus - Scenic - Saskatchewan Hall and Qu'Appelle Hall
View looking southeast across the Bowl at Saskatchewan Hall and Qu'Appelle Hall, with the Medical Research (Cancer and Medical Research) Building in the background.
Campus - Scenic - Saskatchewan Hall and Qu'Appelle Hall
View looking south across the Bowl at the courtyard between Saskatchewan Hall (left) and Qu'Appelle Hall. Sidewalk and shrubbery in foreground.
View looking northeast of University buildings (l to r): Qu'Appelle Hall, Saskatchewan Hall, and the Dean of Agriculture's Residence. Landscaping, road and power pole in foreground.
Qu'Appelle Hall - Construction
Three images of the construction of Qu'Appelle Hall, the men's residence, taken from above.
Bio/Historical Note: Originally known simply “Student’s Residence No. 2,” the name “Qu’Appelle Hall” was first mentioned in the minutes of the Board’s executive committee in September 1916. Designed by Brown and Vallance as a men’s residence, construction began on Qu’Appelle Hall in 1914 but was sporadic. Delays meant that some building material was subject to the war tax, an additional 5%; and over the winter of 1915 frost damaged the swimming pool, another of many unforeseen expenses. The building was finally completed in 1916, at a cost of $250,000. It included a swimming pool, with lockers purchased from the YMCA, and the dining hall was immediately put to use as a gymnasium–facilities “rendering the Physical Training, which all must take, a pleasure not a penance.” As well as student quarters, Qu’Appelle Hall was used to provide office space and a place for a museum. Normal School (Education) used the first floor; some language classes were also taught there. In 1917 part of the building was used by Emmanuel students while returned soldiers studying Engineering used their building; and in the 1930s, the COTC was quartered in the north end of the Qu’Appelle Hall basement. The building was used for classes and offices until construction of the Arts building in 1960. In the early 1960s the Board of Governors decided that “there should be accommodation on campus for at least one-third of the out of town students,” and authorized an addition to Qu’Appelle to house another 60 students–an increase of 50%. The $731,000 addition, designed by Izumi, Arnott and Sugiyama, was completed in 1963.
Qu'Appelle Hall - Construction
Initial steel structure in place during construction of Qu'Appelle Hall, the men's residence.
Bio/Historical Note: Originally known simply “Student’s Residence No. 2,” the name “Qu’Appelle Hall” was first mentioned in the minutes of the Board’s executive committee in September 1916. Designed by Brown and Vallance as a men’s residence, construction began on Qu’Appelle Hall in 1914 but was sporadic. Delays meant that some building material was subject to the war tax, an additional 5%; and over the winter of 1915 frost damaged the swimming pool, another of many unforeseen expenses. The building was finally completed in 1916, at a cost of $250,000. It included a swimming pool, with lockers purchased from the YMCA, and the dining hall was immediately put to use as a gymnasium–facilities “rendering the Physical Training, which all must take, a pleasure not a penance.” As well as student quarters, Qu’Appelle Hall was used to provide office space and a place for a museum. Normal School (Education) used the first floor; some language classes were also taught there. In 1917 part of the building was used by Emmanuel students while returned soldiers studying Engineering used their building; and in the 1930s, the COTC was quartered in the north end of the Qu’Appelle Hall basement. The building was used for classes and offices until construction of the Arts building in 1960. In the early 1960s the Board of Governors decided that “there should be accommodation on campus for at least one-third of the out of town students,” and authorized an addition to Qu’Appelle to house another 60 students–an increase of 50%. The $731,000 addition, designed by Izumi, Arnott and Sugiyama, was completed in 1963.
Qu'Appelle Hall - Construction
Man standing on top of roof of Qu'Appelle Hall, the men's residence, under construction.
Bio/Historical Note: Originally known simply “Student’s Residence No. 2,” the name “Qu’Appelle Hall” was first mentioned in the minutes of the Board’s executive committee in September 1916. Designed by Brown and Vallance as a men’s residence, construction began on Qu’Appelle Hall in 1914 but was sporadic. Delays meant that some building material was subject to the war tax, an additional 5%; and over the winter of 1915 frost damaged the swimming pool, another of many unforeseen expenses. The building was finally completed in 1916, at a cost of $250,000. It included a swimming pool, with lockers purchased from the YMCA, and the dining hall was immediately put to use as a gymnasium–facilities “rendering the Physical Training, which all must take, a pleasure not a penance.” As well as student quarters, Qu’Appelle Hall was used to provide office space and a place for a museum. Normal School (Education) used the first floor; some language classes were also taught there. In 1917 part of the building was used by Emmanuel students while returned soldiers studying Engineering used their building; and in the 1930s, the COTC was quartered in the north end of the Qu’Appelle Hall basement. The building was used for classes and offices until construction of the Arts building in 1960. In the early 1960s the Board of Governors decided that “there should be accommodation on campus for at least one-third of the out of town students,” and authorized an addition to Qu’Appelle to house another 60 students–an increase of 50%. The $731,000 addition, designed by Izumi, Arnott and Sugiyama, was completed in 1963.
Qu'Appelle Hall - Construction
Looking west at Qu'Appelle Hall, the men's residence, under construction.
Bio/Historical Note: Originally known simply “Student’s Residence No. 2,” the name “Qu’Appelle Hall” was first mentioned in the minutes of the Board’s executive committee in September 1916. Designed by Brown and Vallance as a men’s residence, construction began on Qu’Appelle Hall in 1914 but was sporadic. Delays meant that some building material was subject to the war tax, an additional 5%; and over the winter of 1915 frost damaged the swimming pool, another of many unforeseen expenses. The building was finally completed in 1916, at a cost of $250,000. It included a swimming pool, with lockers purchased from the YMCA, and the dining hall was immediately put to use as a gymnasium–facilities “rendering the Physical Training, which all must take, a pleasure not a penance.” As well as student quarters, Qu’Appelle Hall was used to provide office space and a place for a museum. Normal School (Education) used the first floor; some language classes were also taught there. In 1917 part of the building was used by Emmanuel students while returned soldiers studying Engineering used their building; and in the 1930s, the COTC was quartered in the north end of the Qu’Appelle Hall basement. The building was used for classes and offices until construction of the Arts building in 1960. In the early 1960s the Board of Governors decided that “there should be accommodation on campus for at least one-third of the out of town students,” and authorized an addition to Qu’Appelle to house another 60 students–an increase of 50%. The $731,000 addition, designed by Izumi, Arnott and Sugiyama, was completed in 1963.
Looking south from Thorvaldson building, Saskatchewan Hall is on the left, and Qu'Appelle Hall is on the right of the photograph. In the middle, between these is the Memorial Union Bubuilding.
Inside the Qu'Appelle Hall gymnasium. In the photograph is a display of posters on boards.
Memorial Union Building - Exterior
Looking northeast at the Memorial Union Building (MUB) just before official opening. Corner of Qu'Appelle Hall visible at left; winter scene.
Campus - Scenic - Students Changing Classes
Looking southwest from Administration Building of students changing classes. Buildings (from l to r): Saskatchewan Hall, Qu'Appelle Hall, and north wing of Murray Memorial (Main) Library. Chemistry Building at far right; winter scene.
Elevated view from Administration Building looking southwest across the Bowl. University buildings in background (l to r): Qu'Appelle Hall, Medical College, Murray Memorial (Main) Library, and Chemistry Building.
View looking north of Physics Building nearing completion. Qu'Appelle Hall visible at left, with Saskatchewan Hall at right. Road leading to Physics in foreground, with small trees newly planted.